Makes: 24 | Prep Time: 10 min | Chilling time 15 min | Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 7 ml Instant Yeast
- 125 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon of sugar (15 ml)
- 4 cups of flour (4 x 250 ml)
- 1 ml Salt
- 7 ml baking powder
- 125 ml of sugar
- 300 ml lukewarm water
- Oil for deep frying
- Wisk the yeast, water and sugar.
- Set aside - for the yeast to activate - 15 min
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add water - the batter should be fairly stiff.
- Heat enough fat or oil for shallow or deep frying until it is hot not smoking.
- Dip a tablespoon into the hot oil and then use it to drop spoonfuls of the batter into the frying pan.
- Fry until the cakes brown on all sides.
- Allow the vetkoek to drain well on a wire rack over a bowl.
- Serve with jam or honey for breakfast
- Serve with savoury mince for supper
- Vetkoek make a good alternative to bread
- Traditional South African Vetkoek also a family tradition I will always cherish.
- My mom no longer due to Alzheimer can make it but I will never forget it.