Old fashion Pancakes
Makes: 12 | Prep Time: 10 min | Chilling time 15 min | Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 3 cups of flour (750 ml)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder (10 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar (15 ml)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt (2.5 ml)
- 4 cups of water (1 litre)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of oil (30 ml)
- Butter for frying
- Cinnamon and sugar or syrup for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Have a heatproof platter ready to keep cooked pancakes warm in the oven.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Whisk the water, sugar, egg, vinegar and oil.
- Slowly whisk to the flour.
- Let rest for 15 mm.
- Heat a frying pan until very hot.
- Swirl some butter around in it before pouring in a thin layer of batter.
- Once browned and set, flip the pancake over to lightly brown the other side.
- Traditional South African Pancakes are thin and large
- Served with a savoury filling for a light meal, (Chicken or ground beef)
- Served with a sweet filling for a dessert ( Banana and caramel, ice cream with syrup or chocolate sauce)
- Served with cinnamon and sugar for a teatime treat
- Always the first much have food stall at any event
- One of the most served foods in times of wet rainy weather in South Africa
Old fashion Pancakes- Laerskool Oosterkruin - Resepteboek
Photos - Old fashion Pancakes - Photo by Norman Foster