Makes: 1 Large | Prep Time: 10 min | Cooking Time: 35 min | Baking time: 40 min | Chilling time 10 min
For the Lasagne
- 250 g precooked lasagne sheets
- 90 g mozzarella cheese thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
For the Meat Sauce
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 Stick celery, chopped
- 500g minced beef
- 2 rashers of bacon, rind removed and chopped
- 1 x 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Cheese Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 50g of butter
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a wide saucepan.
- Cook the onion, garlic, carrot and celery on low heat until soft.
- Increase the heat to medium, stir in the beef and bacon, break up any lumps with two forks.
- Stir while cooking till meat changes colour.
- Add the tomatoes cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season the sauce to taste with the salt and pepper.
The White Sauce
- Heat the milk to simmering point, then remove it from the heat.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan, stir in the flour and cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool
- Stir the milk into the flour mixture until blended.
- Stir on low heat until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Remove from the heat and cool a little before stirring in the cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease a shallow, rectangular ovenproof dish.
- Spread a layer of meat sauce on the base of the dish top with cheese sauce
- Add a layer mozzarella, then a layer of pasta.
- Repeat these four layers until the dish is full.
- Ending with Cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese
- Bake for 40 minutes. (Until the lasagne is hot and bubbling).
- Stand for 10 minutes before serving
- Serve with a green salad and crusty bread (We prefer bread rolls)
- This recipe calls for way more than are on our normal pantry shelf.
- We like to treat our quest with something special.
- Our local option for exotic products are extremely limited - most of the cheese ingredients are replaced with cheddar cheese.
- I prefer using green lasagne sheets.
Recipe inspired by Truly Delicious 350 memorable recipes rediscovered for today's South African families - Readers digest
Photos - from Internet